Hey friends! This is Karima, Livlite’s Head Buyer/chef-nerd-in-residence. It’s berry season!!! The time of year we’ve all been waiting for! This is a super easy compote recipe that is great for toast, ice cream, pancakes, crepes, cheesecake, yogurt, eating with a spoon.
Cook time: 30-ish mins
Yields 2 1/2 cups
- 1 cup (150g) blueberries
- 1 cup (138g) raspberries
- 1 cup (144g) strawberries
- 1 cup (140g) blackberries
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp/small pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- De-stem and rinse all your berries. Cut the strawberries if they’re large.
- Throw everything but lemon juice and zest in the pot.
- Bring to a simmer on medium-high heat. Turn the burner down to low, just so it bubbles, and cook for 30-35 minutes, stirring every 5 or so, to ensure there isn’t any sticking or burning.
- It’s ready when the berries are all cooked down, but still have some texture, and the liquid has reduced by about half. It will also thicken when chilled.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, stir, and taste for final seasoning. Add a touch of sugar, honey, or maple syrup if you like. Note that if you plan to enjoy it cold, the spices, sweetness, and saltiness will be less pronounced.
- Keeps for a week in the fridge.